20101216

Teen Daze




Teen Daze from Vancouver, Canada is something worth listening to.
Rich, vivid chillwave from their Debut EP 'Four More Years' and remixes
Put them into your Christmas party DJ set list





What is the significance of the name Teen Daze?
The name Teen Daze comes from a celebration of my friend Joel's 20th birthday.  The day before, my friends took him out and had a "Teen Day", where they did as many "teen" things as possible: loiter, eat candy, hang out by the train tracks.  I started writing a song about it for him called "Teen Daze", and I didn't have a name for this project yet, and it was pretty much love at first sight.

Describe your album Four More Years?
The other night, I met up with a friend that I went to school with for the last three years.  I finished up my degree last year, but he's finishing his up this year.  I had dinner with him on campus, and he introduced me to some of the freshmen that lived on his floor.  When they asked what I did, I said, "I tour a lot and write a lot of music."  They asked what my band sounded like, and I said, "Sort of like if Daft Punk and Boards Of Canada collaborated."  So I guess that's as good as I can describe it: dance music with an emotive, ambient background.

What inspired you to do it all yourself in terms of producing all the music yourself?
I've been doing it by myself for almost four years now, and I've really just grown accustomed to it.  Maybe it's a selfish thing, but I really just love being completely in control of the sounds I get to create.  Not only in a creative sense, in terms of the music I'm writing, but also in the production and engineering.  By recording everything myself, I avoid awkward studio fights, like that one Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennet have in "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart", where Jay Bennet bickers about where to make an edit.  That looks so painful, and unnecessary.

What kind of collaboration do you do or enjoy with other artists and such?
I'm a huge fan collaboration, I'm always just nervous that the people I'm collaborating with aren't as huge of fans of working with me.  I don't mean to be self-deprecating, but whenever I get together with friends to work on music, I think they think I'm very stuck in my ways of being the only one involved in the process.  But that being said, I really love the idea of working with other artists, and I really do love the process of it.  I'm releasing a cassette with my friend in Houses, on his new tape label Way Slow Tapes.  The collaborative effort with him was so seamless; we're both very like-minded when it comes to our production methods, so creating something together was a breeze!



Source: CBC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...